Sunday, September 18, 2011

PICTURE HEAVY POST

Here are some random photos from the last month or so and some from Gnome Fest as well, since Mike wanted to see them. 

 24oz High Life is a perfect fit

 10 x 10 tarp set up

 Stake and 550 cord for tarp. The knot is a taut line hitch. 

 Taut line hitch to adjust the tarp ridgeline

 Taut line hitch to adjust the tarp ridgeline

 Sharpening the tomahawk

 Noah sharpening the Kukri 

 Busted my chain 

 I found the elusive "hero wood" that splits straight and easy. 

 My old Army knife getting used for fire prep 

 My old Army knife getting used for fire prep 

 Tipi in the back ground

 Burr oak 

 Levis Mounds trails in Wisconsin 

 Levis Mounds trails in Wisconsin 

 Levis Mounds trails in Wisconsin 

 Levis Mounds trails in Wisconsin 

 Oak



 Ferns 

 Levis Mounds trails in Wisconsin 

 Birch 

 Birch bark 

 Levis Mounds trails in Wisconsin 













 Nate 3.8 


 Nate 3.8 


















  The day after....











 Sailor Jerry came to Gnome Fest 




















 Mullein growing in my drive way








 Inner cottonwood bark 


 Punkwood 











































6 Comments:

Blogger Steve Fuller said...

Joe, did you put that piece of wood where the tarp ridge meets the rope to help take stress off of that corner? Everytime I look at your photos, I have strong urges to go camp under a tarp in a bivy for some reason.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Hey Steve! The stick toggle just keeps the tarp from sliding around on the ridgeline.

I've really come to love tarp camping, especially with the hammock. It rained Sunday morning and I could sit in my hammock and wait it out. I would hated sitting in a tent. I brewed some coffee with my alcohol stove under the tarp and it's nice to be able to see out in any direction.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Ken said...

Holy photodump Joe, nice!

7:58 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Yeah I know, Ken. Blogger just made it easier for me to add photos to the blog. In the past, I uploaded them from my PC, 5 at a time and it took forever.

If I linked them from Picasa, they didn't format right and it was still 5 at a time. But now they've made it easy to link from Picasa and I could select as many as I wanted to, all at once.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Steve Fuller said...

Joe - Cool. You're using a tarp hanging over a separate cord then. Knowing you, that makes perfect sense. I'm hoping to try and transition to some tarp or tarp/bivy camping just to cut down on the weight and to allow for a broader selection of camping spots.

I had some issues finding appropriate spots for my hammock in Wisconsin last year, and ended up using my hammock as a bivy a couple of nights. My Hennessy really isn't tough enough to use as a bivy on bare ground.

If I get time, I'd like to start looking into some of the bushcraft stuff you've been doing. Being able to easily make a fire, etc would be handy.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Ayasha Kieth said...

Wow, I love those pics and what a nice camp, Maybe this summer I planned for an outing with my folks.

-------------------------

Fender Flares | Bushwacker | Bestops| Discount-autocar-parts | 4wheelonline | All about car

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home