Saturday, April 07, 2012

Tarp practice on a rainy hike

It was a cool, rainy day, so what better time to go for a hike and some BCUSA tarp play. 

I've been wanting to try it over my hammock with the corners folded in as doors. 





I staked the second tab from the end and folded the corners in. I secured the corners with 550 cord and a taut line hitch and the middle of the "doors" with a slippery half hitch. 


It turned out better than I thought it would and seemed to help with the wind blowing in. If I pulled the sides in closer, I think I could close the doors completely. 

View from the hammock. 


I packed it up and hiked some more, stopping at the park. It was still raining off and on, so I set it up as a lean-to with a porch extension. This gave me a dry place to sit and work at fire prep.  






The BCUSA tarp is a great versatile piece of kit. I made a list of the knots I used today: Canadian jam knot, sheet bend, taut line hitch, 2 half hitches, slippery half hitch, and prussik knot. 

BCUSA tarp for the win!!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home